Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi – Renowned Spiritual Leader of the World

Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi – Renowned Spiritual Leader of the World

Share…Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter10Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest11

Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Spiritual Leader of Our Times

‘You cannot know the meaning of life until you are connected to the power that created you…’

PRESS RELEASE – 25th February, 2011

H.H. Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, founder of the worldwide meditation movement called Sahaja Yoga, passed away peacefully on 23rd February, 2011 in Genoa, Italy, aged 87.

Shri Mataji Nirmala DeviHers was a life unlike any other. Whether walking with kings or walking barefoot with Gandhi, it was a journey of extremes managed effortlessly, living as she did with grace, dignity and, always, loving guidance. Shri Mataji’s was to be a truly remarkable path.

Born of a royal dynasty, she conferred as a child with Mahatma Gandhi, living for a time in his ashram, was a medical student and a freedom fighter, was an adored mother, grandmother, great grandmother and the wife of a distinguished diplomat who himself was decorated by the kings and presidents of innumerable countries and knighted by the Queen of England. But incredibly, after all this, with her family grown and settled, she then embarked on an even more extraordinary mission.

Shri Mataji Giving Self Realization in India

She said - There can be no peace in the world until there is peace within.

Nirmala Srivastava, later to be known as Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, was born on March 21st 1923 to Christian parents in India. Spiritually enlightened, she knew from very early on that her unique spiritual gift must be made available to everyone. And so it was that in 1970 she founded Sahaja Yoga meditation, which she shared freely. Using simple techniques, she discovered a unique process of Self Realization through which huge masses of people could easily achieve the peace of true meditation. She charged no money, and instead insisted this was a birthright which should be available to all who desired it, at no cost.

Thus began the next outstanding stage of her life: for the next forty years, she continuously travelled the globe teaching meditation; was a loved and loving spiritual leader, acclaimed public speaker, gentle guide, philanthropist, Nobel peace prize nominee, and recipient of numerous awards and commendations worldwide. Extending her care and compassion ever further, in India she established a holistic health and research centre in Mumbai, an international cancer research centre in Mumbai, a charity house for destitute women and children in Delhi and an international Music Academy in Vaitarna to promote classical music and arts.

Although at birth she was named Nirmala, meaning ‘Immaculate’, eventually she came to be known as Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi – the revered Mother. She was regarded by many as the most significant spiritual figure of our times.

Shri Mataji Giving En Masse Self Realization

Shri Mataji teaching Sahaja Yoga Meditation

Regardless of race, religion, age or status, probably millions of ordinary people have now learnt how to tap into their inner spiritual power through Sahaja meditation, helping to find balance in their lives. And at meditation centres throughout more than 80 countries in the world, her legacy will live on, with volunteers continuing to teach her techniques for free. In the spirit of her teaching, those who have been helped will then help others, like one candle lighting another.

Shri Mataji was described as ‘an Avatar of the modern era’ by Claes Nobel (grand-nephew of the creator of Nobel Foundation). And in the hearts of her followers, she will remain evermore, the all compassionate Mother.

H.H. Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi is survived by her husband Sir C.P. Srivastava, daughters Kalpana and Sadhana, grandchildren & great grandchildren, and her worldwide family of countless devotees. She will be laid to rest in India.

Shri Mataji’s parents Cornelia and Prasad Salve, a direct descendant of India’s reputed royal Shalivahana family, played a key role in India’s Liberation Movement from British rule. Her father, a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi, was a member of the Constituent Assembly of India and helped write free India’s first constitution; was a renowned scholar, master of 14 languages, and translated the Koran into Marathi. Her mother was the first woman in India to receive an Honors Degree in Mathematics.

As a child, Shri Mataji lived with her parents in Mahatma Gandhi’s ashram, where he affectionately called her Nepali, because of her facial features. Even at a young age, her wisdom and deep understanding was evident to Gandhi, who was known to have sought her advice on spiritual matters. Shri Mataji studied medicine until becoming a student activist in the Free India movement, when both her parents were jailed.

For many decades Shri Mataji kept a remarkable schedule at her own instigation, travelling tirelessly around the world teaching Sahaja Yoga meditation, showing how to effortlessly trigger the awakening of the individual’s spiritual power or kundalini, at one time as an official guest of the former Soviet Union, addressing an audience of 100,000 people. Whether speaking in the Sydney Town Hall, the Royal Albert Hall in London, immense stadiums in India, addressing the United Nations in New York, or travelling by bullock cart to crowded dusty fields in rural villages, she gave thousands of talks to packed audiences. Throughout, she always maintained that people cannot pay for spiritual enlightenment and denounced false self proclaimed ‘gurus’ who were more interested in money than spiritual ascent. In 2005 she personally donated properties to the Sahaja Yoga worldwide collective.

Shri Mataji received numerous recognitions for her selfless work and lifetime achievements. These include being awarded the UN peace medal, nominated for the Nobel peace prize, official guest of China as keynote speaker at Beijing International Women’s Conference, granted a one hour nationally broadcast television series by the Indian Government, given a Proclamation by the US Congress, given Unity Award for international understanding, declared Personality of the Year by Italian Government, Mayor of Brazil’s capital gave keys to the city and sponsored all her programs, officially greeted by North American Mayors of Los Angeles, New York, British Columbia, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Berkeley and invited by officials of many countries to address their people.

You can download this Press Release Feb 25th 2011 in full.
Learn about the life, work and travels of Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi with videos, photos and more.

Related articles

Meditation Poll

28 comment(s) so far, want to say something now?

• Carl
    Feb 27, 2011
    comment arrow

Although I have only been using Sahaja Yoga meditation for about a month, after finding the freemeditation website by chance or was it fate!

It has already changed my life in a way I could not have imagined, I now See,Feel,Hear,Taste and Touch the world around me. “The world I had forgotting” I am now awakened to the world thanks to the kindness of Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi and her dedication to freely guide all beings to awaking there Kundalini whithin them.

I have never met and will never meet Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi which saddens me greatly, Shri Mataji will always be with me in my Sahaja Yoga meditation. And I am sure Shri Mataji will be remembered by the many thousands of people like myself who have been touched and had their hearts opened and there Kundalini awakened due to Shri Mataji’s dedication,gentleness and kindness.

Farewell Shri Mataji may your true spirit live on forever in our Sahaja Yoga meditation.

All my love
    Carl

ABHAY
    April 27th, 2011

SHE IS THERE WIT US FOREVER N THIS M TELLING ONLY FOR NAME SAKE .. WE CAN FEEL N WE DO FEEL IT
    HOPE U ALSO FEEL IT
    WE CAN FEEL THAT WE ARE HELPED EVERY MOMENT

JUST TAKE HER NAME N THINGS WILL WORK OUT AUTOMATICALLY ;

N ABOUT MEETING HER THEN DON WOORY WE LL DEFINATELY SEE HER WAITING FOR US IN HEAVEN THE KINGDOM OF GOD
    MAY MOTHER BLESS US ALL : )

• dilia o.
    Feb 27, 2011
    comment arrow

So short but so wonderful!
    JSM!

• Arun-Chennai
    Feb 28, 2011
    comment arrow

Shri Mathaji has shed her physical body that she was occupying. She has fullfilled her worldly mission. Her spirit will live ever in the heart of every Sahaja Yogi in the centuries to come.

rahul.p.k
    September 26th, 2011

jai shri mataji,bro

shri mataji is the mother of this entire universe…..she is immortal…………..so she will be here……………….not only in the mind of sahaja yogis……………..every where………………………………………………………………

jai shri mataji..
    …………………………………………………………may shri ma bless you all……………………………………………………………

• P.Lam
    Feb 28, 2011
    comment arrow

Mother Shri Mataji, you are the greatest passionate Mother.
    Thank you for your life time gift of knowledge.

Sad to see you go.

Love,
    P.Lam

• MANGALA
    Mar 1, 2011

Shree Mamataji,

You have given me strenght to face life. I hope all Sahaja Yogi practise it daily for benefit of mankind.
    We have to carry the burden entrust upon us to spead the message of Shree Mamataji everywhere.

• vishal thakur
    Mar 1, 2011
    comment arrow

Shri mataji, i am so lucky to be among chosen one to spread cool vibration of love.

Jai Shri Mataji.

• Sahaja Yoga Group PE
    Mar 3, 2011
    comment arrow

We from the Sahaja Group in Port Elizabeth, South Africa would like to extend our condolences to H.H. Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi’s family.
    Sadly missed by the Moodley, Vassen, O’Brien, Muller and, De Franca families.

• Rajesh Shriwardhankar
    Mar 3, 2011

Jai Shri Mataji,

To All My Brothers & Sisters,

Shri Mataji is with us till our end. Be Happy & realize actual appearance of Shri Mataji within Us anytime, anywhere.

Jai Shri Mataji,
    Yours,
    Rajesh

• Rajavadivelu.k
    Mar 4, 2011

JAI SHREE MATAJI,

WE ARE ALL ALWAYS FEEL THE ENRGY BODY OF MATAJI.
    THE MATAJI WILL TAKE CARE EVERY THINK,
    I FELT YOUR LOVE
    I FEEL ALWAYS YOUR LOVE
    I&WE SPREAD THE SMELL OF LOVE
    MATAJI LIVING IN OUR DEEP BREATH.
    JAI SHREE MATAJI,
    RAJA.K

• amanda UK
    Mar 4, 2011
    comment arrow

Such a beautiful memorial – thank you! May all Sisters and Brothers in Sahaja Yoga feel the most wonderful collective bliss at their meditations. Much love, amanda

• Riekie
    Mar 4, 2011
    comment arrow

With sadness in my heart I just read that Mother has passed. I found her 2 years ago and she has been with me every day.
    Riekie

• Sushil Pugalia
    Mar 5, 2011

Jai Shri Mataji,

I have no words to describe what She did for me. Brick by brick She built my life. She took me from darkness to light.

She empowered my soul to that extend that I can help others in real terms. I wish to dedicate my rest of life to spread Her message of love to masses.

• surbhi
    Mar 6, 2011

jai shri mataji,
    i’ll never forget your love,care,affection mother…….i will spread this love to enlighten others …
    i love u alott mother….

• pam
    Mar 11, 2011
    comment arrow

i’m sorry she has passed. my condolences to her friends, followers and family. she was a remarkable woman. her message was profound.

• Line
    Mar 18, 2011

Beautiful and deep message
    Beautiful and great Heart
    For Eternity and all the human beings
    who search peace, love and joy !!

Life is beautiful each second, enjoy it in sahaj meditation always with Shri Mataji !

Line

• Phung Hung
    Mar 25, 2011
    comment arrow

That is not a big surprise but I fell some thing strong in my heart. I hope, Sahaja yogis can make our mother be happy by continuing and building up better society.

Above all, thank for all you have done for us, mother. Miss you. See you a near future.

• LadyMin
    Apr 26, 2011
    comment arrow

We missed her … she gives us power strenght and
    sad to know that she passed away already….My Mom and sis Chelie was with her
    last Hongkong visit together with Yogis,..Thank you Mother Shri Mataji…
    that i can now understand..such meaning in our life.. Meditation Always,
    vandam, raising chakras, Kundalini… We Loved You ..
    Jai Shri Mataji..

• balaji
    Jul 15, 2011
    comment arrow

The teachings of Shri Mataji were unique and simple for the common man. I am fortunate to have come across and receive the teachings. Thank you Shri Mataji. Glory to the divine teacher.
    Jai Shri Mataji

• Pet
    Aug 20, 2011
    comment arrow

I’m grateful for this meditation …. It helps allot and feel so peaceful ! Thank You Mother

• Vijay Raymond Daniel
    Oct 18, 2011
    comment arrow

Thank you for giving me a reason to get up everyday in the morning with enthusiasm for i did not know what to do before i came to Sahaja Yoga. Or before i was pulled into Sahaja Yoga by a divine force.

• sunil saxena
    Nov 22, 2011

H.H.Shri mataji ,
    i am fortunate one who came into sahajayog and find the real path of life which I was seeking since many past life.my search is end,i am realised so . thanks mataji .I feel Mataji always all arround me all the time .thanks for giving me meaningful lifestyle .
    spead the message of Shree Mamataji everywhere.
    good wishes to all viewer.

• Shashank shekhar shrivastava
    Jan 22, 2012

H.H Sri Mataji
    i am very happy and good feel when i came in sahajyoga and take relization then i am understand that meaning of life.and i feel realy mataji around me.thank “jai sri mataji”

• yogesh
    Jan 26, 2012

Shri Mataji!

Thank you very much for everything!

Please accept our complete surrender and our sincerest thanks to make us sahajayogis.

• Neha jaiswal
    Oct 26, 2012

MA THANK YOU SO MUCH

I LOVE YOU

PLZ MAKE ME IN YOUR SURRENDER…..ALWAYS

mohit
    March 5th, 2014

nice

Erwan Lesigne
    March 18th, 2014

• Harold G. Barh
    Oct 29, 2012
    comment arrow

Shri Mataji Nirmal Devi, Your face shines like a thousand suns. You ahve given us more than we could ever seek and ask for: Bliss, Peace and Harmony.

Indeed, you have also given us the boldness we need to face the life-beyond.

We’re yours, always.

• Michael
    Jan 16, 2013
    comment arrow

Today, for the first time, I embarked on my spiritual guidance. On my first attempt at meditation, I achieved what I believe to be a Kundalini awakening. Shortly after, I read this article. I don’t know what moved me, but reading about this wonderful woman brought tears to my eyes. I weep in her absence, but do not carry deep sadness as she has left behind a legacy that we must carry on for her. I will continue to practice her methods in hope that I will achieve true spiritual enlightenment.

• param
    Aug 28, 2013
    comment arrow

love u maa.u have shown us heaven on earth…..jsm

• priya
    Oct 26, 2014

Hi
    I need help from someone who is blessed with this power of sahaja yoga. Please do reply if anyone there to help me out

Erwan
    October 29th, 2014

Dear Priya,

we are all blessed with Kundalini awakening when we look for it and you can be too:

Let us know how you feel,
    Best wishes,
    Erwan

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback : flying on the wings of love | Self-Help on February 27, 2011
  2. Pingback : In Forever Loving Memory to the Mother of All « nirmala magazine on February 27, 2011